[Huayan] Yongquan Temple (涌泉寺) (Founded in 915 AD, and located on the top of Mount Gu.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzhou
"Yongquan Temple is located on the mountaintop of Gu Mountain in Fuzhou City, Fujian Province. It was built in 908 A.D. and has an area of more than 4 acres. It has 25 halls, big or small. The temple maintains its original Ming-Qing architectural style. The main hall is magnificent and majestic. In the middle of the hall, there stand three Buddha. Beside the Buddha stand the Eighteen Arhats. They are different in facial expression and gesture. In the back of the hall, there is a three-sage statue, which weighs about 1.15 ton. In front of the statue, there is a long desk. It is said that the desk has gone through several fires and remains in good condition.
As one of the five Buddhist temples in Fujian, it takes up an important position in Buddhism circles in China. The temple has a big collection of Buddhism books including more than 10,000 Ming-Qing Buddhist scriptures and 30,000 Buddhism writings in all ages. Among them, 657 volumes of Buddhist scriptures were written in blood by ascetic monks."
"Gushan Mountain, the most famous sight in Fuzhou, is a classic scenic spot. It has been famous for sightseeing for over 1,000 years. Yongquan Temple is its center with more than 100 sights scattered around it, among which main sights are Yongquan Temple, the Eighteen Sights of Damo and White Cloud Cave. Three routes can be taken to climb along the Gushan Mountain: the traditional one climbs along the ancient stone path from the foot of the mountain, approximately 3.5 km long, or take a bus directly to the gate of the Buddhist Temple (8 km long). Visitors may also take the cable car from the foot of the mountain to the Eighteen Sights of Damo.
Yongquan Temple, which covers an area of 1.7 hectares, still maintained the construction style in Ming and Qing dynasty . In Qing dynasty, the emperor Kangxi awarded the golden paint tablet on which "spring-gushing temple" was written by himself. The name was given due to the Luohan spring in front of the temple gushing out of the earth. there are three invaluable state treasures being housed in the temple-the pottery pagodas with a thousand Buddhas, the ocean-bed wooden altar table and the Buddhist scripture printed with an ancient printing plate. The "pottery pagodas" refer to the pair of pottery pagodas standing before the temple on both sides. The pagodas were made in 1082 (the Song Dynasty) and are 7 meters high. They're octagonal in style with nine stories."
"The Yongquan Temple is considered to be the first temple in Fujian province and one of important temples in China. It is located at the foot of the White Cloud Peak of Gushan Mountain, 455m. above sea level. The Temple lies halfway up the hill. Xianglu Peak is in front of it and the White Cloud Peak behind so that you feel you cannot see the temple while entering the hill and catch sight of the hill while going into the temple. It was said that the old temple was called the Huayan temple. In 1699, Emperor Kangxi changed its name to the Yongquan Temple and the inscribed board with its name has been hung upon the gate of the Heaven Hall. Built in the Five Dynasties (908), it comes first on the list of the five Buddhist temples in Fuzhou and still preserves large and middle-sized palaces and temple halls today. As an ancient Buddhist temple in a famous mountain, it is home to many places worth visiting. First, the conception of its construction is unique. By considering the entire mountain, it's built in the chin of the peak where experts call the "Swallow Nest". The temple seems to be hidden and visitors can not see it whether they are walking, taking a bus or a cable car. Even after entering the gate of the temple, they still cannot see the large scale Yongquan Temple. The saying goes that "Once you enter the mountain, you cannot see the temple, while entering the temple, you cannot see the mountain." Secondly, there are three invaluable state treasures being housed in the temple: The pottery pagodas with a thousand Buddhas; The ocean-bed wooden altar table and The Buddhist scripture printed with an ancient printing plate. There are "three irons" (iron tree or sago cycas, iron pot and iron wire wood) which are in the temple as well. The "pottery pagodas" refer to the pair of pottery pagodas standing before the temple on both sides. The pagodas were made in 1082 (Sung Dynasty (960-1279 AD) and are 7m high. "
""Yongquan Temple, Fujian Province brake the highest, is one of the key national temple. The monastery was built in Gushan mountainside, 455 meters above sea level, covers an area of about 1.7 hectares […] The Yongquan the Temple was built in 783, the early name Huayansi . The Tang Wuzong suppression of Buddhism , Huayansi destroyed. 908 Min Wang Wang know to build a new Temple "National Division Museum. 915 years, changed its name to the the the Gushan Approach springs a Buddhist Temple. The Sung Dynasty, Emperor Song thanks to the amount the springs a Buddhist Temple. In 1407, he renamed springs Temple. Ming Dynasty, the monastery has twice destroyed by fire, one after another repair, expansion, the formation of today's scale. 1699, the Kangxi the Banci the Yushu "springs Temple illuminated plaque still hanging in the Hall of Heavenly Kings Terakado above. In addition, Sichuan, three and Dalian, Liaoning, with the same name as the monastery."
Input by: tmciolek, Aug 15, 2012
Final data (and their sources)
Last updated: 25 Apr 2013
Lat/Long coordinates' accuracy:
The monastery in question is assumed to be situated actually no farther than 200 m from the point defined by the coordinates below.
General location of the Huayan monastery, CN.
Lat 26.0494 Long 119.3965
Mapping & images: Falling Rain Genomics (http://www.fallingrain.com), 2012.
Google Map link:
1. Monastery's name
- Huayan-1 temple (name in use till 1699) - http://www.yatour.org/chinaattractions/attraction_336.shtml
2. Monastery's modern country & province
- China:Fujian Sheng
3. Monastery's alternative/historical names
- Yongquan Temple (涌泉寺) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzhou
- Huayansi - http://baike.baidu.com/view/114014.htm
4. Monastery's lat/long coordinates
- Approx. Lat 26.0494 Long 119.3965 - based on the visual identification of the site in satellite imagery, maps.google.com, tmciolek, 15 Aug 2012.
5. Other known nearby Buddhist monasteries
6. Modern name of the known nearest city, town, or village
7. The settlement's alternative/historical names
- Min-hou-hsien-ch'eng - http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/07/Fuzhou.html
- Fu-chou-shih - http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/07/Fuzhou.html
- Fu-chou - http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/07/Fuzhou.html
- Min-hou-hsien-ch eng - http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/07/Fuzhou.html
- Foochow - http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/07/Fuzhou.html
- Min-hou - http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/07/Fuzhou.html
- Fuchau - http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/07/Fuzhou.html
- Min Hsien - http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/07/Fuzhou.html
- Minhow-hsien - http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/07/Fuzhou.html
- 福州 - http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/07/Fuzhou.html
- Minhow - http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/07/Fuzhou.html
- Min-hou-hsien - http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/07/Fuzhou.html
- Lin-sen-hsien - http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/07/Fuzhou.html
- Lin-sen - http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/07/Fuzhou.html
8. The settlement's coordinates
- Approx., Lat 26.0614 Long 119.3061 - http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/07/Fuzhou.html
- Approx., Lat 26.076111 Long 119.306389 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzhou
9. Monastery's major Buddhist tradition
10. Monastery's Buddhist sub-tradition
- [missing data]
- The Yongquan the Temple was built in 783 - http://baike.baidu.com/view/114014.htm
- Built 908 AD - http://www.absolutechinatours.com/Fuzhou-attractions/Yongquan-Temple-3613.html
- Founded in 915 AD - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzhou
- MBM chrono-tag 0767-99p 0800-32p 0833-66p 0867-99p 0900-32c - tmciolek 25 Apr 2013
- 0767-99p 0800-32p 0833-66p 0867-99p 0900-32c 0933-66c 0967-99c 1000-32c 1033-66c 1067-99c 1100-32c 1133-66c 1167-99c 1200=> dated-el
- Two small (7 m. tall) pagodas added in 1082 AD - http://www.yatour.org/chinaattractions/attraction_336.shtml
- In 1699 the monastery's name changed to Yongquan Temple - http://www.yatour.org/chinaattractions/attraction_336.shtml
- MBM chrono-tag 1200=> - tmciolek 25 Apr 2013
14. Details of contacts with other monasteries
- [missing data]
15. Type of evidence regarding the monastery
16. Additional notes
- [missing data] (incl. details of the size of the monastic population)
17. Corrections & addenda to this page were kindly provided by
- [missing data]